Buy Malwarebytes antimalware

This site is hosted at Hostgator.com

Sponsored Adverts

Sponsored Ads

These adverts come direct from Google adsense

Welcome to The Spykiller

You need to register to  get help with malware cleaning on your computer or take part in the general discussion forums and to upload files that have been requested from other forums. Unfortunately we are getting massive spam attacks from allowing guest postings to uploads
It takes a very long time and a lot of hard work on our part to read all the logs posted here and research and prepare the fixes for you. In many cases each part of the fix takes about 30 minutes to prepare so a large part of our time is spent helping you

INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Author Topic: AVG resident shield alert  (Read 7239 times)

Tunada

AVG resident shield alert
« on: April 27, 2010, 20:52:42 »
Hello,

I seem to have a virus that is imitating AVG antivirus software. It keeps giving me pop-ups saying I have different trojans. But it sometimes says that the trojan files are located in my real anti-virus program (ie: Trend). The message at the top of the popup is always "AVG Resident Shield alert-Multiple threat detection" together with the AVG logo. Right now it says I have two trojans:

Trojan horse Crypt.UHK in qpservice.exe
Trojan horse Generic17.BEHC in 000031ec.sys

Just before I got this popup, I got another one with the same message, saying I had a different list of viruses.
I ran Trend antivirus software, and it caught a whole bunch of trojans but it doesn't seem to have caught this.

It would be so good to get help with this.

Thanks,
Natalie 

Offline Derek

• Administrator
Re: AVG resident shield alert
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 21:01:40 »
Delete any existing version of ComboFix you have sitting on your desktop
Please read and follow all these instructions very carefully

Download ComboFix from Here to your Desktop.

**Note:  It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop  and run from the desktop and not any other folder on your computer**
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus and  anti-malware real-time protection and any script blocking components of them or your firewall before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results" or stop combofix running at all
  • Click on THIS LINK to see instructions on how to temporarily disable many security programs while running combofix. The list does not cover every program. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
  • Remember to re enable the protection again after combofix has finished
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Close any open browsers and any other programs you might have running
Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
If you are using windows XP It might display a pop up saying that "Recovery console is not installed, do you want to install?"
Please select yes & let it download the files it needs to do this
When finished, it will produce a report for you. 
Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell us when you reply. Read HERE why we disable autoruns

Please do not install any new programs or update anything (always allow your antivirus/antispyware to update) unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem. If combofix alerts to a new version and offers to update, please let it. It is essential we always use the latest version. 

Derek
Microsoft MVP  Windows - Consumer Security Security Advice
Modern Malware is so involved and difficult to fix that it takes a very long time and a lot of hard work and research to prepare the fixes for you. A large part of my time is spent helping you
Would you do all this for nothing?
 I run this site to raise funds for Hedgehog Rescue
Please donate if I have helped you or you have found this site useful.

Tunada

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 23:01:46 »
I've attached the combofix log. Thanks. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Derek

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:52 »
Download the attached CFScript.txt  and save it to your  desktop ( click on the link underneath this post & if you are using internet explorer when the "File download" pop up comes press SAVE and choose desktop  in the list of selections in that window & press save)
Disable any antivirus/antimalware/firewall realtime protection or script blocking in the same way you did previously before running combofix & remember to re-enable it when it has finished
Close any open browsers
Then drag the CFScript.txt into the ComboFix.exe as shown in the screenshot below.

This will start ComboFix again.  It may ask to reboot.  Post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply

Note: these instructions and script were created specifically for this user.  If you are not this user, do NOT follow these instructions or use this script as it could damage the workings of your system and will not fix your problem. If you have a similar problem start your own topic in the malware fixing forum

This will create a zip file inside C:\QooBox\quarantine named something like  [38]-Submit_2008-01-17@17.50.zip 

at the end it will pop up an alert  & open your browser and  ask you to send the zip file

please follow those instructions. We need to see the zip file before we can carry on with the fix

If there is no pop up alert or open browser then

please go to  http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=1.0 and upload these files so I can examine them and if needed distribute them to antivirus companies.
Just press new topic, fill in the needed details and just give a link to your post here & then press the browse button and then navigate to & select the files on your computer, If there is more than 1 file then press the more attachments button for each extra file and browse and select etc and then when all the files are listed in the windows press send to  upload the files ( do not post HJT logs there as they will not get dealt with)

Files to submit:
the zip file  inside C:\QooBox\quarantine created by combofix named something like  [38]-Submit_2008-01-17@17.50.zip 

or to
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=38

Derek
Modern Malware is so involved and difficult to fix that it takes a very long time and a lot of hard work and research to prepare the fixes for you. A large part of my time is spent helping you

Tunada

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 16:08:15 »
I posted the zip file to the message board: http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,9225.0.html

My Combofix log is attached here.

I think that's everything.

Offline Derek

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:42:36 »
how is it now
are you still getting any problems
Derek

Tunada

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:53 »
i haven't been getting the AVG popups anymore or any other symptoms. i just ran a virus scan and it found a few trojans and spyware.

TROJ_HATIGH.L
TSC_GENCLEAN

my computer seems to be clean now, but i'm not sure.
the combofix got rid of the AVG resident shield alert popups so that's really good.
is there anything else i should do to make sure?
thanks.

Offline Derek

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:33:51 »
*Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and the other tools it downloaded to remove the malware*
*  Click START then RUN
*  Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox  and click OK.  Note the space between the X and the /U, it needs to be there.

This will also purge the restore folder and clear any malware that has been put in there. Now Empty Recycle bin on desktop Then reboot.

go here http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?page=3 for info on how to tighten your security settings and how to help prevent future attacks.

and scan here http://secunia.com/software_inspector/ for out of date & vulnerable common applications on your computer and update whatever it suggests

Then pay an urgent visit to windows update & make sure you are fully updated,  that will help to plug the security holes that let these pests on in the first place
Derek

Donations

You have come to The Spykiller for help because your Antivirus or Antispyware hasn't been able to fix your problem.

Modern Malware has become so involved and difficult to fix that it takes a very long time and a lot of hard work to read all the logs posted here and research and prepare the fixes for you. In many cases each part of the fix takes about 30 minutes to prepare, so a large part of my time is spent helping you

The reason I run this site is to raise funds for Hedgehog Rescue

You can donate safely and securely by using the paypal service, just click on one of the buttons below.

To donate in UK £

To donate in US$

To donate in Euro €

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to ensure we keep the Rescue Centre running

To donate via paypal when the button doesn't appear or the link doesn't work: just go to www.paypal.com or your country's paypal log in page and chose send money and use help@thehedgehog.co.uk as recipient email address and select other service as the option. then follow prompts

Useful Advice and Programs

Stop killing hedgehogs with strimmers
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 15:21:11

Login with username, password and session length

secunia Software inspector

RoboForm: Learn more...

You have come to The Spykiller for help because your Antivirus or Antispyware hasn't been able to fix your problem.

Modern Malware is so involved and difficult to fix that it takes a very long time and a lot of hard work to read all the logs posted here and research and prepare the fixes for you.
In many cases each part of the fix takes about 30 minutes to prepare, so a large part of my time is spent helping you

I run this site to help raise funds for Hedgehog Rescue

You can donate safely and securely by using the PayPal service, just click on one of the buttons below.

To donate in UK £

To donate in US$

To donate in Euro €

Any amount no matter how small is gratefully accepted and needed to ensure we keep the Rescue Centre running